Richmond Lawyers for Benefit Issues
Handling ERISA Disputes & Claims
The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) sets forth specific rules and regulations related to pension and health plans voluntarily established by private employers. What does this mean to you? It means you are offered certain rights and protections under this federal law that pertain to your benefits as an employee.
At LawrenceQueen, we handle employee benefit claims, disputes, and appeals for workers across the greater Richmond area of Virginia. These are complicated matters, and your financial security may be at stake. Our Richmond employment benefit attorneys apply our knowledge of state and federal employment laws to protect your interests to the fullest extent. We represent private and government employees in all issues related to benefits, under ERISA and other applicable laws.
To discuss your right to benefits or any issue related to health or retirement benefits, call (804) 409-8689.
ERISA & Your Rights
ERISA outlines certain employer responsibilities and employee rights related to health and pension plans:
- Your employer must provide you with key information on plan features and funding.
- Your employer or other responsible party has a fiduciary duty to act in your best interests when managing and controlling the plan.
- The plan must establish a reasonable dispute and appeals process you can use when applying for benefits.
- You, as a plan participant, have the right to sue for benefits and breaches of fiduciary duty.
In addition, specific amendments have addressed additional issues affecting employee healthcare benefits:
- The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) allows for certain workers and their families to receive continued healthcare coverage after certain events, such as the loss of a job, for a limited time.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) protects workers with preexisting medical conditions from discrimination in healthcare coverage.
Let a skilled Richmond ERISA lawyer protect your right to benefits. Call (804) 409-8689 today!
Quality Legal Counsel Blended with the Latest Technology
A Promise to Keep Clients Informed
Exclusively Focused on Employment Law
Big Firm Feel Paired with Personalized Attention